Sling Media, an EchoStar company, is seeking a Director of Engineering for our Foster City, CA headquarters to lead a diverse software development team to deliver innovative video applications for mobile, web, and connected devices.
Founded in 2004, Sling Media, Inc. is a different kind of consumer Electronics Company - one that's working to demystify convergence technologies and to create empowering experiences for the digital media consumer. The focus of Sling Media is to embrace - not replace - existing products and standards by enhancing them with hardware and software that make divergent technologies compatible and greatly improve the consumer experience. Because, after all, can't we all just get along?!
Sling Media's first product, internationally acclaimed, Emmy award-winning Slingbox, has literally transformed the way we are able to watch TV. The Slingbox turns any Internet-connected PC or laptop, Mac, or smartphone into your home television. That means you can watch TV virtually anywhere in the world.
The Director of Engineering responsibilities will include
- Accountability for product delivery, performance, and quality.
- Leadership of a 35+ engineer staff spanning embedded SW, mobile apps, and web technologies, as well as, the Engineering Quality Assurance group.
- Hands-on management with deep-dive into the details of SW design, implementation and debugging, SW quality and Configuration Management, and will motivate and mentor our development staff to produce the best products in the industry.
- Validation of technical design options against the business needs, work with the Product team to translate requirements into scalable multi-platform solutions, and prioritize resources based on business constraints and requirements.
- Manage multiple projects across a wide breadth of technologies, coordinate dependencies and interactions with other internal teams and external partners.
- Strong understanding of video processing and streaming, networking, scalable web back-end and mobile platform technologies.
- Bachelor's degree in Software Engineering/Management or related technical field
- 10 or more years of experience with all phases of development life cycle methodologies; understanding how to scope and justify resources in the digital media space.
- 8 or more year of experience managing software development teams with demonstrated success in leading the development, delivery, and support of digital media products.
- 8 or more years of experience lead multiple simultaneous product development efforts and technology initiatives in fast-paced startup-like environment.
- 8 or more years of experience working with cross-functional teams and teams located in geographically disperse locations.
- Master's degree in a relevant technical or management specialty.
- Management experience in the development of mobile application software for media consumption.
- Technical background in streaming media applications.
- Solid understanding of business processes and the application of technology to implement them.
- Excellent communicator; both verbal and written.